Middle School: Girl Scout Engineering Saturday
Girl Scout Engineering Saturday (GSES) is a program for local Girl Scout troops in Maryland and the Washington metropolitan area. Cadettes (grades 6-8) engage in fun hands-on activities and earn the Women in Engineering Girl Scout Engineering Saturday patch. This program is offered twice a year in February and October.
Goals of GSES
- To expose Girl Scout Troops to engineering related activities
- To introduce young women to professional career options in engineering or science
- To provide university students with the chance to develop and implement engineering related activities, and to enhance their communication and leadership skills
Troop members hard at work on their
GSES participants getting to know each
other with an icebreaker
The next program is scheduled for October 2017.
The Girl Scouts will be divided into three groups to rotate through a series of activities; each activity designed to increase awareness of a different type of engineering. Participants will earn a special program patch.
Who can attend?
Cadettes (grades 6-8) are invited to apply to the program.
There is a $20 registration fee for each participant to cover the cost of lunch, patches, and activity supplies.
Please do not include the fee with the registration form.
Registration for Girl Scout Engineering Saturday is on a first come, first served basis with preference given to first time participants. Please note that because of high program interest we are only able to accommodate a limited number of participants. You will be notified upon acceptance to the program and provided additional program details regarding payment and permission forms as well as directions to campus and the program schedule.
- Women in Engineering Program
- Women in Engineering Living and Learning Community Students
- Program Flier [pdf]
- Online application can be found here. *Registration is no longer available
- Parental Permission Form [pdf]
**** EACH participant MUST submit a completed Parental Permission Form upon acceptance.****
This form may be mailed with the Registration Fee or completed during check-in. Scouts without a completed permission form signed by a parent will not be allowed to stay for the program.
Julia Anderson, GSES Coordinator
Office: 1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall